Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Lisbon Treaty Referendum.........now what?

On the day following Ireland's rejection of the Lisbon Treaty my wife and I happened to be in Biarritz and while out walking we stepped in to a cafe/bar to shelter from an , unseasonal , rainshower . Inside , in the darkened bar , sitting in small groups were , what I would consider a typical selection of Frenchmen of a certain age , sipping their various drinks , and talking gloomily about the weather and probably the news of the day .
The conversation stopped on our entering . My wife , one who is always ready to stir the s*** , broke the silence and pointing at me said , in her not-too-bad French ..:.''He is IRISH ''...
I cringed , expecting to be on the receiving-end of a hail of French curses and/or flying wine glasses . Neither happened . Instead I began to see , in the gloom , shining teeth as they all started to smile and then to a man gave me the thumbs UP sign . Everyone there seemed to agree with Irelands vote .

' They ' are already talking about a two tier Europe .A two tier Europe being one without Ireland and 'They' being the political and bureautic establishment of all other countries .
I have news for 'Them' , a two tier Europe already exists , and what's more 'They' are the top tier where all the cream and sweet toppings lie .And more news for 'They' or 'Them' or 'Whoever'....You will NEVER win if you do not put a clear and honest PLEBISITE to ALL countries ...no matter how
long it takes...

I was fully prepared , at the outset , to vote yes , because I believe that Europe will eventually unite on all levels but it will be as a result of the ordinary citizens of each country voluntarily agreeing to it , not because our politicians and bureaucrats , try to sneak or force it through to suit their career paths or social status or pensions.....

So , goodbye Lisbon Treaty , hello everybody else in Europe..........now if we could only get this little problem of language difference sorted out......

No comments: