Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Cats 'n Dogs

People say that there are two types of individuals those who like cats and those who like dogs and never the twain shall meet . I must confess to being more a cat person that a dog one .But sometimes we (cat lovers ) , can be caught out . At sometime , as my children were growing up , at a weak moment , following continous pleadings , I must have rashly promised them that I would get a dog 'when I retired ',because a few days after officially informing them that I was taking early retirement I was reminded of my 'promise '.
So RUFUS made his appearence .Not only were we not very original in our choice of doggie names , we were not fussy about the choice of breeds . Rufus was described as a cross terrier , a nice way of saying a mongrel . I , being a cat person was well used to cats' independent ways ,i.e.''feed me , give me a warm bed and shelter and I MIGHT , repeat , MIGHT , decide to stay with you .'' This suited me fine .
But dogs are different . All I knew about dogs , to begin with was , one end barked and the other end s***ted .(I have since discovered the difference between big dogs and little dogs....big dogs bark louder and s**t bigger ).I soon found myself feeding , cleaning , walking , and generally looking after him .Dogs ,as far as children are concerned should be able to do all those things for themselves , just as cats (almost ) , do.Naturally I came to like him and when he was killed on the road a few years later , I missed my companion of my early retirement years .
Cats come and go , in both senses of the phrase , and don't appear to leave any physical marks behind them , but dogs leave all the accoutrements of their , dog-boxes , leads , chewed toys , scratched doors etc....So I promised myself.....no more dogs.!
A cat controls its 'owners' , can disappear for days at a time and one dare not ask WHERE WERE YOU .She ,because they are usually shes , ...takes up her usual place , near the fire , on your lap , on the sofa ...wherever is most confortable and secure .Dogs , and of course , children have no part in her life , unless they pay proper homage to her majesty .The cat ALLOWS you to pet her , but a dog BEGS you to. Dogs are famous for their loyalty , many stories are told of dogs fretting after the burial of their owner/master sometimes until the dog itself dies . Not so with cats , I have never read a tale of a cat sacrificing itself for its owner . No , one gets the impression that a cat will choose its next 'owner' at the wake of its former one .
Even when one goes on holidays a dog MUST be cared for constantly or put in an appropriate Kennel . A cat can pretty well look after irself with a minimum input from humans .
If a stranger comes to call , a dog ,after an initial round of barking will come begging for attention from the newcomer , but a cat will exit stage left at the first oppoptunity and disappear , not to be seen again until the visitor departs......and please don't ask me where I've been.
Finally in a competition between the two again the cat comes out best in a trice she can wind even the fiercest dog around her little paws just so that she can steal his food.....woof..woof,...miaow....miaow...let's paws for now....oh no wait a minute...I haven't told you about Max and Mickey..
Max is a fully grown jet black Labrador (dog , of course ) and Mickey is a young black male (we think ) cat .
Max thinks he is the boss and any time he spots Mickey , Max runs after him , barking ferociously...they disappear around the corner of a shed , Max in in close pursuit , Mickey running ahead , tail erect..from behind the shed comes sounds of , barking , mewling and scoffling .....then they come back into view ..except noe Max is running away , tail between his legs , ears down , whimpering ....and Mickey , the little cat , chasing him , spitting , hissing , fur standing to attention , all tooth and claw ....and the chase only ends when the CAT decides that the game is over.....

5 comments:

Rach said...

Hi Dad...I love this blog the most so far....I must say however that personally when it comes to the old Cat and Dog question I'm on the fence - I think both have endearing qualities and therefore can't decide between the two furry companions...I will say however that I adore our Bonnie!!! :))) (apologies for the useless comment pops) - I'll be tuning in for some more blog updates so keep up the good work!!!!

Rob said...

Yeah, this is a great post...the part about the physical traces left by dogs reminds me of a poem by the new U.S. poet laureate where she remembered her mother through the traces she left after her - worn-down knobs on kitchen cupboards and that sort of thing...I always stick up for the cats in the great debate...they're more enigmatic, and seem to have more interesting lives...still, dogs win on lovability...maybe it's been long enough since Rufus to think about a new dog, Dad?

Unknown said...

Great post pops. i've got a soft spot for the felines too but you can't beat the unconditional love you get off mutts.

Ye it also reminds me of a poem by Rob C. .. no thats too obvious.. R. Curran, i think it was. ... "A car A cat .. A Cat a car" .. thats nobel prize winning material.

Rob said...

another great salvo in this debate came in the form of a performance art piece from a rather curlyheaded five-year-old some years ago...let's just call him Rich, for present purposes...he sat on a kitten, as I remember, showing pretty clearly where he came down on the issue

Unknown said...

don't remember that one brother... i do recall my inspirational christening of a certain female puss "richie"... must have been good luck...as she holds the record for oldest cat